Surgery Date

SURGERY DATE-- NOVEMBER 29,2010

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Next Phase of the Journey

Today I got a surgery date--I am scheduled for bilateral partial (unicompartmental) knee replacements on November 29, 2010.  I purposely chose this time frame so that my husband, who is a professor, would be able to help me with my recovery.  The expected recovery is a minimum of 6 weeks, so that will give us exactly 6 weeks before his school starts back again in January.  Not great timing with the holidays, but it looks like we will be having no fuss holidays this year.


I made the decision to have surgery in December of 2009.  Every step I took was very painful, and I knew that I was tired of living this way.  I was calculating how many steps were involved for each and every activity I did, no matter how small the activity.  I was constantly figuring out the most efficient use of steps.  I no longer shopped in stores.  I did not go anywhere much because I did not know how far I might have to park, or how many steps I might have to climb.  In short, I had to admit that my arthritic knees were dramatically affecting my life and the quality of it. 


So why am I just now getting a surgery date if I made this decision 10 months ago?  I have spent the last 10 months getting ready for this surgery.  First, I joined Weight Watchers in January.  I have not met my mini weight loss goal, which was not high, but it was realistic. I figured that any weight loss would help with rehabilitation.  Still, I am pleased that I have lost 15 pounds and that is equivalent to 60 pounds off my knees!!  In addition, I have been very purposeful in my exercising.  Three days a week I do deep water aerobics which has made me stronger and keeps my knees flexible.  Another three days a week, I ride a recumbent bicycle (now up to 29 minutes) and about 30 minutes using weight machines to increase my upper body strength. (core and arms)  I also do a yoga routine and physical therapy exercises all 6 days.  Sunday is my day of rest unless I missed a day of exercise that week.  I have been very diligent in doing my exercises with the expectation that my rehab will be easier and that I will be in the best condition for hauling my body around with 2 surgically painful knees.


I want to blog about my preparation over the next 6 weeks or so, my hospital stay, and my recovery at home, my rehab, and my progress over the next year.  Hopefully this will be helpful to someone else who is wondering about having this surgery.  My radar has been up for the past 10 months, and I have talked with any and everyone who has had knee replacements-- including picking the brains of complete strangers if I heard them mention the work "knee"!  My doctor has been very informative, but he hasn't lived it, and I doubt he knows the REAL nitty gritty questions that inquiring minds want to know.

1 comment:

  1. Bless you!
    The only thing I can share from our somewhat similar experience is:
    If the doc says don't, DON'T.
    If the doc says move it 10 times, move it 12.
    Find a fabulous physical therapist now. (Lyn's wreck provided that jewel for us.)
    And finally, Delotid is delightful.

    ReplyDelete