Surgery Date

SURGERY DATE-- NOVEMBER 29,2010

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Be prepared!

http://www.arthritistoday.org/treatments/surgery/preparing-for-surgery.php




 
"Arthritis Today" also has a very good web site. The articles are practical and easy to understand, and the site is easy to navigate.  Here is one of several articles I will post as a must read pre-surgery. I truly don't think one can be over prepared. I feel like I know so much going into this surgery--my doctor did an excellent job of explaining the surgery, possible complications, answering my questions, and basically telling me things I did not know that I did not know.  In addition to his thorough explanations to me, he gave me a large handout that reinforced everything he had told me.  Most of us are aware that it is hard to listen when we are stressed, and sitting in a doctor's office discussing surgery is certainly a stressor.  The best thing would be to have another person with you to take notes while you listen.  For me the next best thing would be to take notes while I listen, but I know not everyone operates this way.  I was thrilled to get that big handout before I left the office.  Fortunately my doctor told me ahead of time that I would be getting a packet to take home that would cover everything we were going to discuss.  That decreased my stress levels so that I could more actively listen.


In the article above, there is a list of questions to ask your doctor.  My doctor answered all of them except the last two without my asking a single question.  I feel certain that he would have volunteered answers to those 2 questions if I had asked or been interested.  Garner as much knowledge as you can before meeting with your orthopedic surgeon.  It will help you to understand what you are being told, and give you a knowledge base on which to build.

No comments:

Post a Comment