Surgery Date

SURGERY DATE-- NOVEMBER 29,2010

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Patience is not my strong suit (9 weeks)

Towards the end of last week, 8 weeks post-op, I really began to pick up in what I could do.  We foolishly got involved in a remodeling project that created so much dust in our house.  We were completely surprised by all the dust that was created by replacing floors.  We knew refinishing floors caused huge amounts of dust, but removing flooring and replacing it was just as bad.  So now I am faced with removing massive amounts of dust on everything in every room!  I surprised myself by how much I got done.  What I accomplished is only a drop in the bucket, but before last week, I usually worked for 10 or 15 minutes followed by a 30-45 minute rest before repeating.  I also went 3 whole days without narcotics.  Another biggie.  My toddler gait became a little less wide spaced, and I was really cruising in the house.  I was feeling pretty good about my knees and my progress.


Then yesterday, I ran into a friend who had a total knee replacement 3 weeks after me.  She was walking GREAT and gave up her narcotics long before me.  I was thrilled for her.  But then....I went home and got into a funk because I was hurting and needing my cane and was feeling sorry for myself. I wanted to be doing as well as she was. I finally gave in and took a pain pill last night and life looked ok again.  Guess if I still need pain pills, I should not be resistant to take them.


Today at the pool, a man started up a conversation about my "fresh scars".  He wanted to know all about my whole experience, including measurements of flexion and extension.  He then told me how great I was doing.  He, too, had had knee replacements, and he said that he was at my level at 9 months, not 9 weeks.  Guess this man was placed in my path to remind me that we all heal differently and at different rates.  I will continue to try to be patient with myself.

3 comments:

  1. I think I can... I think I can... I think I can... I think I can... I think I can...

    ReplyDelete
  2. what's the estimate on total rehab time? Nine months seems extreme...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My doctor said I will be 50% recovered at 4 months, 90% at 9 months, and full recovery takes a year. Not so bad if the next 20+ years are without knee pain.

    ReplyDelete