Surgery Date

SURGERY DATE-- NOVEMBER 29,2010

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

NEW KNEES--THE GOOD ONLY! (12 weeks)

It has been a fantastic past few days.  Monday began my 12th week post op.  On Sunday, I did a HUGE grocery shopping--the cupboard, frig, and freezer were bare, and we were tired of eating out.  Granted, my husband pushed the basket and loaded and unloaded the car, but I spent well over an hour walking around the store and picking items. Then I had to put everything up once we got home.  MAJOR milestone.  Then on Monday I returned to my water aerobics class;  it was so great to see all my water friends.  I could not keep up with them, but I gave it the college try, and even stayed about 45 minutes after class to do specific physical therapy exercises.  It did NOT kill me or wear me out.  Tuesday I went to physical therapy and for the first time was able to balance on my left leg.  My left leg is what is holding me back.  In the hospital I was literally dragging it around--really kind of scared me that it was so affected.  The left leg has caused me the most pain and is an albatross as far as weakness is concerned.  Balancing all my weight on the left foot was so EXCITING to me and my therapist! Then I went to the walking track and did my four laps 2 or 3 minutes faster than the last time.  WHOO HOO!  I even came home and did some cleaning around the house which was amazing.  Today after water aerobics, I even went shopping to 3 stores. It was FABULOUS to not hurt with every step!!!!  It has been probably a year since I went shopping; if it couldn't be bought online, I didn't need it!  


I have really needed all these positive experiences.  The progress is so small on a daily basis, and it so wonderful to see all my hard work pay off in such a big way.  Oh, and thank you, Dr. Tabor!


(If balance is an issue for you, doing it in the pool is great.  It's a lot harder than on land, but it doesn't hurt.)

1 comment: