Surgery Date

SURGERY DATE-- NOVEMBER 29,2010

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Practical Matters

I have been thinking of some practical things that might help someone who is following me in this knee replacement journey.  I am venturing farther and farther away from my home these days, and it requires some forethought.  First, I have to be concerned with the seating.  If the chairs are too low, it is really uncomfortable and sometimes painful to get up.  In restaurants, I have found that a chair is better than a booth.  The chair needs to have some working room around it--don't choose one too close to someone at another table. Sometimes a flattish pillow that will raise me up about an inch will be all that I need for some chairs.  That can be carried around in a tote.  Also, there is the commode issue.  For us ladies, a commode too low in public presents the same kind of issues.  At home I have a commode chair that fits over my commode with handy arm rests to use for getting up.  My literature from the hospital said that I would need that chair for 12 weeks.  I'm thinking that timing will be about right, but until I no longer need it, planning is involved.  I don't venture too far from home--it's not unusual to come home for a pit stop before finishing my errands or whatever.  I never leave the house without visiting the bathroom first.  If in doubt, I'll check the bathroom facilities for placement of handrails and the height of the commode before spending too much time in that establishment.


Have I told you more than you wanted to know?

No comments:

Post a Comment