Surgery Date

SURGERY DATE-- NOVEMBER 29,2010

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Trying to get straightened out (5 weeks)

I haven't done any posting about my pool exercise.  I've been going to the pool sporadically over the past 2-3 weeks.  When I left the hospital, my doctor in rehab really encouraged it as the best way to rehab.  It requires a lot of energy to get dressed, get there, and come home and shower, but afterwards I'm always glad I did it.  Exercising is tons easier in the water because the pain is so much less.  I do my regular exercises, plus others I have learned in the past from water therapy for a back injury. My biggest problem at the present is my extension or straightening of my knees.  The right is not so much a problem, but the left one is.  I have really worked on the straightening exercises that are no fun on land, but are so much easier in water.  I have been using a noodle under my heel to extend my leg and stretch really good behind my knee.  I have also spent lots of time walking backwards in the water.  My therapist was real pleased to hear that I had been doing that. (I read about walking backwards in my knee book that I recommend.)  Two days ago, my therapist did a lot of stretching of my left knee that was definitely not fun and left me hurting the remainder of the day.  So I was motivated yesterday to go to the pool and work especially hard on straightening my knees.  Today I was rewarded with great measurements.  The right knee measured 4 degrees--0 is the goal.  The left knee measured 7 degrees-- down from my last measurement of 15!!


I belong to the Y, so I am using pools that belong to the Y.  I have since learned that the Church Health Center has a heated pool that is therapeutic for arthritics.  The Y is 84-85, but the warmer pools are about 5 degrees warmer.  I would choose the warmer pools if I had a choice.  By the way, my husband wanted to do a video to jazz up my blog.  No way my blog is going to sport me in a bathing suit!

No comments:

Post a Comment