Surgery Date

SURGERY DATE-- NOVEMBER 29,2010

Thursday, January 20, 2011

A reality of rehab (7 weeks)

It's been almost a week.  Last Friday at physical therapy, my therapist worked me really hard.  I knew I was in trouble when I could hardly walk out of there! I could not wait to get home and get in bed to wait for the throbbing to go away.  For the next 4 days, I could barely walk.  Both knees hurt with every step I took.  If I had been sharper, I would have reverted to my walker, but that thought never occurred to me.  I miserably walked around with my cane and left my walking sticks by the wayside.  Going back to the cane was a real psychological setback. (I just realized that I have not mentioned my walking sticks prior to this--I'll post about them next.)  I was in significant pain for a full 4 days, and the past 2 days have been less painful.  I saw my PT yesterday, told her I was not a happy camper, and she said, "that's not supposed to happen, but sometimes it does." Makes sense that I have to be tested, but I truly feel like I was set back 3 or 4 weeks.  The real bummer was that that very morning when I awoke, I realized that I had slept all night for the first time since my surgery!!  I was elated and felt like I had turned a corner in my recovery.  I was delighted that I had slept all night because I had not been bothered by pain. I went bouncing into PT and announced to everyone who came around that I was a new woman and that I had slept all night.  I haven't had a good night since.  I'm still taking 1 or 2 pain pills every day, and I'm really surprised that I didn't take 3 or 4 every day last week.

1 comment:

  1. You probably don't remember that I didn't post from the end of May until September of 2009. There wasn't much to talk about that was humorous or positive sounding for a while. PT is heinous.

    ReplyDelete