Surgery Date

SURGERY DATE-- NOVEMBER 29,2010

Sunday, December 5, 2010

A taste of rehab (1 week)

 (Just read my last post and got tickled at all the mistakes.  Will try to remember to correct them.  I have so many postings in my head-- just hope that I can remember them.  Obviously they will perhaps be out of order.


I have had a good hospital experience thus far.  I spent Monday--Thursday in luxury accommodations.  Wood floors, flat screen TV, wifi, 4 month old bed, and Rick had spacious accommodations in the suite side.  It was impressive and definitely a selling point for the hospital.  The nurses were serious about pain control, so all calls were answered promptly.  Nursing care was efficient and professional. I did have one humiliating day, and I'm still thinking about reporting on that.  Then Thursday, I was transferred to the inpatient rehab unit.  Ugly, dark, and depressing.  It really affected me emotionally.  But the staff has been fantastic and more than made up for the dreary surroundings.


Friday I had an hour and an half of occupational therapy, an hour and an hour and an half of physical therapy.  Thoroughly exhausted me.  Saturday was unbelievable.  Same 3 hours of therapy, but intense.  I cannot go home until my knees bend to 90 degrees, plus I have to master some stairs, and walk a required distance.  The physical therapist proudly told me her nickname was Slayer.  Masochist would be better.  She inflicted great pain, all the while smiling, and asking if we were having fun!  She bent my best knee, the right knee, to 95 degrees, so I guess the right side of my body can go home.  The left knee which is the most painful, sorest, and stiffest, she managed to bend to 82 degrees.  It was truly awful.  I was convinced that my stitches would be busting any minute! Then in OT I had to pedal bike pedals with my arms for 20 minutes, lift 10# weights on a pulley for 180 times, work a rickshaw for 140 times, biceps curls (60), and several other exercises.  Then back to the room to bend each knee for 4 hours on the machine.  When I moved to this unit I was depressed about having Sunday off.  By noon Saturday, I was THRILLED that Sunday was a day of rest.  They let me eat breakfast before bathing, let me snooze before bathing, and the best thing-- put pj's back on instead of dressing!!!  Basically spent 8 hours in the bed on my machine bending my knees.  I would like to tell you that I am ready to get back to work tomorrow after my day of rest, but that would be a lie.  But I know that the work will get me closer to home, and I'm ready for that.

1 comment:

  1. I was just looking over the first month and was astounded at the typos in the last post. I did not remember that I knew about them. Oh well....

    ReplyDelete