Surgery Date

SURGERY DATE-- NOVEMBER 29,2010

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

One Word (3 weeks)

CONSTIPATION.  I guess this goes in the ugly category.  This single word will forever strike fear in my heart.  Of course, my southern upbringing and the fact that my mother will be horrified that I am even bringing this subject up will temper what I have to say, but since I am a nurse, there are no topics that are off limits to me.


What a miserable day I had yesterday.  ALL DAY.  I knew that constipation was something that could happen because of the narcotics I am taking.  But I really didn't think it would be a problem for me.  I am so regular, you could practically tell time by my regularity.  I knew to drink lots of fluids.  But drinking fluids in the hospital required getting out of bed, and that was painful, it required calling someone every time I needed to use the commode chair and losing all privacy.  I knew to eat fresh fruits.  In the hospital, I rarely got fresh fruit, but I always made an effort to eat all fruit I was brought --even the nasty, gritty canned pears.


After I got home, I ate and drank even less than I did in the hospital.  I started taking Colace as a preventative. The bottle said 1-3/day.  I took one.  I am now taking THREE.  Yesterday required 2 enemas, and I still was contemplating the ER because I knew I was in serious trouble.  Today I am reminded of the momentos from my first delivery--painful hemmorhoids.


 Do everything you know to avoid this condition. Being more active would help, but doing 8 hours/day in the CPM limits that for me.  I have since learned there are abdominal exercises to do. I don't mind telling you that I have been affected by this physically, emotionally, and psychologically.

1 comment:

  1. Sandy, you are a trooper! Even as you frankly discuss the agony (in many ways) of your "condition"your sense of humor and wisdom continue to come through.

    You rock!

    ReplyDelete