Surgery Date

SURGERY DATE-- NOVEMBER 29,2010

Thursday, January 19, 2012

It's Time for a New Ribbon! (almost 14 months)

Today I ran various errands for 4 hours which necessitated getting in and out of the car and walking into establishments.  For the first time since my surgery, I got out of the car and just started walking.  Usually I have to stand there for 20 seconds or so, or if I take off walking sooner, I look like someone who has had knee surgery or is in dire need of it!!  I cannot tell you how BIG this is.  I have not walked like this in almost 4 years!


To what do I attribute this great advance?  Diligence. Diligence in my rehab, and more recently, spending more time on my outdoor bike even when I don't want to do so. Riding outdoors is much more difficult than a stationary bicycle, and even though my sister laughs when I talk about the hills I have to climb (she is from East Tennessee), those little inclines are very difficult for me.  I know I am hysterical to watch because I almost come to a standstill trying to get up those little slopes in a seated position.  That, or I am veering back and forth like a child learning to ride a bike and keep his balance.


To all in the throes of rehab, DILIGENCE.

2 comments:

  1. OMG - I am SO happy for you!!!!!!

    I know exactly what you mean by having to stand about 20 seconds before you move - I'm like that when I get up from my recliner! I know it must be funny for someone else to watch but all I can think is "When will I just be able to get up and walk????"

    You cannot imagine the smile on my face to know you reached this milestone!

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would understand! I also realised that I can descend stairs with minimal discomfort, too. This is such a huge turning point. It should give you great hope for the future.

    ReplyDelete