Surgery Date

SURGERY DATE-- NOVEMBER 29,2010

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

9 months

According to the large handout my doctor gave me when I began my knee replacement journey, at 9 months I should be 90% healed.  Based on my experience lately, I would say that is close to right.  It's hard to believe that it will take another 3 months to finish that last 10% of healing.  I have had a setback though which I hope is minor, but it is too early to know.  Last week I went to see my physical therapist for a "tune up" and stretching.  My left knee has 6 degrees less flexion than my right knee, and I don't know how much less extension, but to me it is noticeable.  I have made several visits since I graduated from PT just to get my muscles stretched.  This last time I was really impressed by how flat I could get my left leg when I straightened it out, and more importantly, the next morning after sleeping, it was still that way.  When I did my usual extension exercises, I was so wowed at how straight and pain free my efforts were.  THEN, slowly over 7 days, the bottom of my left foot hurt when I stood for long.  Then the backs of my calf hurt.  Then the back of my knee.  Somehow I'm thinking we must have stretched a nerve too much, and it is not happy. The past 3 days I have not been very happy either.  I did my water aerobics one day last week even though I really did not feel like it, and it turns out that that was the only time that day I did not hurt.  For the past 4 days, I decided to forego all exercise in the hope that some rest will help my nerve to settle down.  That, of course, really concerns me.  I don't want all my hard work to go by the wayside.  I know from experience that your muscles can go to pot in 2 weeks. Yesterday I went to see a doctor just to make sure that I was not dealing with a clot.  He thought it was a muscle strain.  I don't think he was listening.  This does not hurt like a muscle.  Even so, I am taking a muscle relaxant at night and rubbing very expensive NSAID gel on my muscles.  Quite frankly, I'm bummed because I've got a feeling that this is going to be a TIME issue, and my gut says it's going to be a long time.  As far as activity, my doctor said I could do whatever I felt like doing.  Well, that's nothing! (Did I mention that I am back on my cane?  This thing really hurts!)


I came away from PT with 2 new exercises, one for helping with stairs, and one for really stretching those knees.  I guess it's possible that the new stretching exercise could be the culprit.  I complained to my therapist that stairs were still a problem, and she was not concerned.  Said that just takes a long time.  To which I replied that if she was not concerned, then I wouldn't be either.  It's so hard to be patient with oneself.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I am so sorry to hear about this setback. May I make a suggestion that you go see a different doctor? No doctor wants to admit that might be a problem with HIS (or HER) work. I'm sorry to say that I would trust the therapist more than the doctor, and if the therapist said not to worry, then I would go with that - but I still would see another doctor. But in the end it might be YOU that is correct - a nerve/muscle that was stretched too much.

    I know it's SO hard to be patient, and it can be scary that you are back on the cane. But hopefully, this is a short setback. Do you have access to a hot tub? I love doing my stretches in that - I'm sorry I am too lazy to go more than twice a week, but at least I do that. Just don't be overzealous - I think you are correct to rest when you feel you need to.

    Good luck!
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your grit girl and I appreciate your reports from the front.

    God's blessings,
    John

    ReplyDelete