Surgery Date

SURGERY DATE-- NOVEMBER 29,2010

Saturday, August 13, 2011

When did this happen?

Lately I have become aware of how normal I am becoming.  I'm doing lateral movements without thinking, pivoting movements, and stepping backwards automatically.  It makes me so happy to think that I no longer move with Tim Conway old man movements! In conjunction with this progress report, I am re-posting a previous post with some updates.

Things I Ponder--Part II


I'm always wondering if it's normal to not be able to do something or to feel something, so I will jot down some of these in case there is someone else wondering the same things.


1.  I wonder if my knees should still be this stiff?  It's a different kind of stiffness than I had before surgery, but I sure would like to come out of this with none. (I am doing some serious flexion and extension stretching exercises.  I have to do them every day, but I tend to have tight muscles anyway, so time will tell if I will just end up with my normal muscle tone that's a bit tight . I have minimal complaints about my right knee, but the left one still requires a good deal of work.)





2.  I wonder if there will always be some movements that will cause me pain.  There are times when I move around in bed that I am very aware of my knees. ( These painful movements are fewer and certainly less noticeable than the first time I asked this.  I have noticed that I no longer require a pillow between my knees to cushion those sore knees.  All in all, things are looking up!)


3.  Will I be able to kneel?  Will I be able to squat?  Am I expecting too much? (I am amazed at the progress I have made with my yoga routine as far as getting on my hands and knees.  When I first started, I had to put pillows under my knees and it was very uncomfortable.  Now, I only use the yoga mat on the hard floor.  I can't say that it is total comfort, but it is certainly manageable. Kneeling and squatting will come much later, if at all.)


4.  When will I be able to descend stairs without pain?  Going up isn't always a lot of fun, but going down is definitely not without pain in one knee. (Definite progress in this area, but I am still mindful of steps, and the left knee still hurts some.  Probably cannot do steps without a rail to hold.)


5.  When will I be able to walk without listing to one side?  I really want to have a normal kind of walk. (7 1/2 months, but I'm thinking much of that was due to the problem I was having with my feet.)


6.  My left knee does not extend as well.  Will this always be the case or can I expect both knees to be more similar? (8 months--I notice that when standing this is much less noticeable to me.)


7.  Are most of my knee problems going to resolve with increased strength? ( This seems implausible, but before getting the injection in my foot, I wondered about why I bothered to get new knees if walking first thing in the morning was still really difficult.  Once my feet were not hurting, I could really feel the benefits of having knee replacements.)


8.  When will I have more stamina and be able to walk more than 6 laps on the track without paying for it later? (7 1/2 months--again the problem was more related to my feet)


9.  When will I be able to get up out of a chair and immediately start walking without having to wait for my joints to lubricate first? (8 months--the feet had much to do with this)


As you can see, my impatience is rearing its ugly head again. Afterall, it has only been 4 1/2 months since my surgery.  I plan to answer each question when I have an answer and repost this if and when I have the answers. 

3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh! I have ALL the same ponderances! But I'm a month and a half behind you so I will have to see where you go with them (and you had both knees done and you had a fall).

    The reason I wonder the same things too (besides just wondering) is that before the TKR I was in such horrible pain but I still did what I had to do. Now I have to STOP. And I'm much more fatigued than I ever was prior to TKR.

    Regarding the kneeling - I had that conversation with my PT (again - it was one of the recurring ones) but this time she actually explained why you shouldn't kneel yet. Something to do with the muscle from the quad being stretched over the muscle below the patella and because of swelling there isn't enough room yet for the muscles to comfortably meet and when you kneel you force the muscles to go into a smaller space than what they need for the successful completion of the kneeling.

    She said that when the swelling goes down (and regardless of what it feels like OUTSIDE your body, you still have internal swelling for up to a year) you will safely be able to kneel.

    The reason we had this conversation is because I told her that I can kneel all the way down when I'm in the pool. (Another one of my annoying "if it doesn't hurt can I do it" questions.) She said not to do it - just because I am not feeling any pain in the warm water my body is not ready yet for it.

    Please keep up your ponderances with the timelines of improvements.... I'm right behind you!

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry - misread what you wrote - I'm way further behind than just a month and a half! lol So I am REALLY watching you every step of the way so I can have a clue about MY future.

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kneeling explanation. I had not thought about internal swelling, but it makes sense. It's been years since i've knelt--just hope to do it again some day, but I'll cope if I don't. I don't know if you have really good physical therapists or that you ask really good questions. I bet it's the latter!

    ReplyDelete