Surgery Date

SURGERY DATE-- NOVEMBER 29,2010

Saturday, July 2, 2011

"Help, I've fallen, and I can't get up!" (7 months)

Well, the thing I dreaded most finally happened.  And it's true-- it does hurt more to fall on metal knees than those made of bone! The irony of it all was that the fall happened the same day I posted my progress that was so significant to me.  I am at a point that the progress is so subtle that I sometimes get discouraged that I am not at the place I imagined I would be. That is why I posted those things--to remind myself that I AM improving in subtle ways.  On the same day as that posting, I was walking through my living room and tripped on, of all things, my yoga mat that was rolled up, and I thought out of the way.  Prior to falling, I was so cocky thinking how great I was walking, and the next thing I knew, I was prone on the floor in significant pain.  I am so happy that this happened at home and not in public because I had to lie there for several minutes to wait for the pain to subside before attempting to put my weight on my throbbing knees to get up. That was not a pretty sight I am sure.  Fortunately, I had a sofa arm to use, and I pulled another chair close to help me get up. My son was close by and he helped by putting my shoe back on and getting me the yoga mat to put under my knees before getting up on them. This was one time where having both knees done at the same time was a distinct disadvantage!


I was headed to bed anyway, so I grabbed some cold bed buddies, took some Tylenol, and elevated my legs with pillows and went to sleep.  The next morning I thought I might be in big trouble; I could barely walk.  I called my doctor, and they could not see me that day because he was in surgery.  They told me to do the obvious--elevate, ice, and rest and come in the next day.  The following morning only my right knee hurt and walking was not fun although much easier.  Went to see my doctor, got X-rays and everything is ok. (bonewise)  I tried going to the gym, and the bicycle was like my first post-op days.  Every revolution hurt, and I could barely pedal. (25 rpm compared to the 50+ I am doing now) The other machines I do were ok with less weight.  Today I am even better, so it looks like it was a dip in the road to recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment