Surgery Date

SURGERY DATE-- NOVEMBER 29,2010

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A bit of good and bad (7 1/2 months)

It's been  3 weeks since my fall.  Not totally recovered, but real close.  Just got back from taking my son to college to register, etc.  I was so disappointed in my abilities there.  I did a great deal of walking, and there was one building that had at least 20 steps that I climbed and descended numerous times before discovering a ground level entry. (I later found this picture of the building and it had WAY more than 20 steps!)  I really had to  keep telling myself that I was still recovering from a fall and that it was ok to be so dependent on my cane. I was disappointed in how fatigued I got compared to what I can do around my house.  I have a new knee friend in blogland whose motto I have adopted and adapted; I constantly reminded myself that I was 7 out of 12 months recovered. (and in reality, it could be as much as 18 months)  Then things did not seem so bad, and I was more gracious to myself.


I added a link to her blog to my blog, but lest it gets overlooked, I wanted to point it out.  She is about 6 months behind me in her recovery, and she started her blog because she could not find much info regarding expected recovery after the first 6 weeks.

www.newkneenewme.blogspot.com 


In spite of feeling like the past few days were so crummy, I had a good night at the gym.  The rpms on the recumbent bike were my highest thus far--56.  I did 1200 steps on the NuStep.  Back up to 2 minutes on the elliptical.  And a stretch I do that is very uncomfortable (lying on my back and bending my knee with my foot flat on the mat and pushed back as close to my bottom as I can stand) had a surprising finding tonight.  I'm usually lying there with my arm over my mouth to keep from moaning and groaning like I would do at home, intensely watching my timer for 2 minutes.  Prior to tonight, it was after 1 1/2 minutes before before the pain would subside.  Tonight it was closer to 1 minute.  That was very encouraging.  I did it again for 1 minute, and that did not hurt at all!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking to my blog! Your exercise sounds like TORTURE! I hope I'm not in for that when I reach your point in recovery. I know my life will never be the same with regard to exercise in order to keep my knee in tip-top shape, but 1200 steps???!!!???

    I'm so sorry for your fall and hope that you soon reach to where you were before it happened.
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete