Surgery Date

SURGERY DATE-- NOVEMBER 29,2010

Friday, November 12, 2010

It's getting closer, and the plans might be changing---

I saw my doctor today.  I like him.  There was no reason to see him today, except the fact that it did not feel right to have this big surgery done by someone I had only seen once.  I took Rick with me to meet him and ask questions.  This doctor answered bunches of my questions and never once, by word or deed, made me feel like he had rooms full of other patients. 


You may notice I now have an X-ray on my blog.  Those are my real, anatomical knees.  Notice how the insides of both knees have the thigh bone (femur) sitting right on top of the leg bone. (tibia)  The outsides of both knees have cartilage in between so that a space can be seen between those bones. My pain is caused by bone rubbing bone with every movement.


Here is the plan-- I hope to get 2  partial knee replacements, i.e., replacing only the parts that are bone on bone.  If the other parts of my knees look diseased, then I will get total knee replacements.  Whether or not I get 2 totals is still up in the air.  Our original plan was that if the first knee is a partial, then he will operate on the second knee.  If the first knee is a total (TKR), then he would do just one.  Today he said he would consider doing two TKRs.   Something to think about.  This is BIG!  My physical therapist thinks I have the "fortitude" and "work ethic" to do both. Most days I think I do, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment