Surgery Date

SURGERY DATE-- NOVEMBER 29,2010

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Walking in Memphis (11 months)

I am at the 11 months mark now.  Not much to post, but I will mention the walking plan that I referred to a few posts ago.


Walking around my house is easy, getting from my car to a store and walking around is fine, small little jaunts are no big deal.  However, it is ridiculous how hard it is for me to do "endurance" walking.  By endurance, I mean a nonstop 5 minute walk.  Very stupid how hard that was for me!  Then I increased to 10 minutes, and I am now up to a whopping 15 minute walk.  You would think I was running a marathon.  My legs ache, my back aches, the longer I go, the more embarrassing it gets because I slow down even more than the tortoise pace with which I began.  Then afterwards, I might as well have spent a rigorous hour at physical therapy because my muscles are tight and hurt for hours!  Last week I walked 15 minutes 4 days per week, and I am dreading increasing that to 5 days this week. (Plus this is taking me away from my bike which I love, but I cannot do both on the same day.)  Actually I guess I am in marathon training in preparation for my Disney World trip in 43 days.


Nonetheless, as much as I dislike it, I can tell that I am getting stronger, a tad bit faster, and I can go farther before I start wishing it was all over.  I was told that rehab would be really hard, and that is no lie.

2 comments:

  1. Good on you girl. You inspire.
    John M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have turned a corner today. Walking 15 minutes was easy with no aches or realization of the passage of time. Still had trouble walking the rest of the evening, but I am feeling real encouraged.

    ReplyDelete