Surgery Date

SURGERY DATE-- NOVEMBER 29,2010

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What can you do when your feet hurt?


Notice where the ties begin
Insoles
Plenty.  My feet have been hurting so much that I broke down and went to my podiatrist.  Happily, there is nothing on x-ray to be causing me problems.  I was so afraid that he was going to tell me that my feet were full of arthritis.  Haven't heard of any feet replacements yet!  He told me that it was not unusual for those with knee and hip replacements to have trouble with their feet afterwards. Makes sense, but I was really getting bummed to think that I could not enjoy my mostly pain-free knees because my feet hurt so blame much!  So here's what to do.  First, new shoes.  I had already done that on the advice of my physical therapist.  Her recommendations were New Balance, Saucony, and Brooks.  My doctor is a New Balance fan because they have a couple of models that are built on a straight last.  A shoe with a straight last is hard to discern whether it is a right shoe or a left shoe when you turn it over and look at the bottom.  I had been wearing a walking shoe, and my PT wanted me in a running shoe for more support. My doctor was real pleased with my shoe and its technology.   But, he wanted me to get a better, more supportive insole.  He just happened to sell one for $35 which was half the price I paid for one at Campbell Clinic or The Walking Company.  He said, "How much did you pay for these shoes? $140?  Now they are $175."  Ouch.  Next is the way to tie them.  Don't even start your laces until the 3rd hole down.  I was not wearing my shoes tight, but wearing them like this has already made a difference.  He also told me no barefoot walking, slippers, flip flops, blah, blah, blah.  Said to keep my tie shoes next to the bed and put them on first thing.  OTC NSAIDS were not helping me, so he started me on Relafen. (I had tried some Celebrex we had around the house, and it was just beginning to help today after 6 days, but it is making my ears ring, so I wanted to try something else.)  I also have a prescription for these pads that have NSAID on them that I will apply directly to the one place on my right foot that hurts the most and is exquisitely tender.  I wear this for 12 hours on and 12 hours off.  He wants me to use both heat and cold.  He suggested freezing water in a drink bottle and rolling it under my feet.  He also suggested using PVC pipes that had been in the freezer. (that would certainly eliminate the condensation problem with frozen bottles.) He emphasized that the best thing I could do would be to get my quads strong. I'm already doing every exercise he suggested.  Guess bulking up with steroids is my next option!

No comments:

Post a Comment