Surgery Date

SURGERY DATE-- NOVEMBER 29,2010

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thinking about Knee Replacements? Do it!

Since today is my birthday, it seems appropriate to post.  It is just so nice to be getting older and not have the knee pain that I was having just 5 years ago.  That is when I realized that my knee stiffness was ongoing and not related to activity. As things progressed, I tried to postpone the inevitable with Supartz injections and physical therapy, but not to much avail.  I have never regretted once that I got knee replacements.  There have many ups and downs, but still, I am so glad that I can at least look forward to getting older without knee pain.

Not a lot going on on the knee front, but there have been some developments that I would like to report on.  In January, my husband and I traveled by car to Houston, which is a very long car ride. Even though we broke it up in 2 days each way, by the time I got back to Memphis, both of my knees were very stiff and sore.  I didn't know if it was from riding in a car so many hours or if the rental car seats had something to do with it.  After 5 or 6 weeks without much improvement, I talked to my physical therapist.  He suggested that I use The Stick on my hamstrings.  After a couple of weeks I had worked out the trigger points in both hamstrings, but my left knee was still quite stiff and sore.  I had regressed to not being able to walk when I first stood up out of a chair, and that walking was not without discomfort.  I returned to my PT, and he did dry needling on my left knee.  I got several needles in my quad muscle.  I don't know how many because I was yakking the whole time.  I felt the needles go in, felt the turning, but it was rather innocuous.  When he hit the trigger, my muscle would jump or spasm, and that did not feel good, but it was quite tolerable. The next day the improvement was remarkable.  I had another treatment 10 days later, and I am basically well.  For the first time since my surgery, I am not thinking about my knees.  Hardly ever.  It's kind of bad though because I don't think to go to the gym or ride my bike either!! (Remember the foot pain that threatened my Disney trip?  A few needles in my lower leg practically fixed that up, too.  It has been hurting me for over 2 years!)

The other thing I have done is become a semi-vegan.  In the past 9 weeks, I have lost 28 pounds.  ALL of my joints are so much better. This alone has encouraged me strongly to adapt this lifestyle.  I am now walking faster, and I'm sure my knees are thanking me since 28 pounds is equivalent to 112 pounds off my knees. I see many, many small things that are encouraging me to stick with it-- getting up and down more easily off the floor, doing yoga, riding my bike, etc.

At physical therapy, it was decided that my hips are weak.  I have been doing hip exercises for several weeks, and that has made a huge difference in my balance and step climbing.  I just feel like FINALLY things are looking up more and more.  I have always been proud of my progress, but discouraged at the same time by the progress of others whose progress seemed to be greater than mine. Thinking about knees replacements?  Do it!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there!

    Just read through your entire journey. You did a great job of sharing your story.

    I've had a ton of surgery myself, but not replacement surgery - it "feels" gnarly.

    My dad has had two knees and a hip replaced and some shoulder surgery. He just turned 84 and doesn't walk much any more, except to the kitchen, chair, bathroom or bed and even then it's with a walker and an attendant. He had a stationary bike behind his easy chair for 15 years and my brother and I couldn't get him to ride it for even a minute a week.

    Way to keep up your routine and roll with the process! It's super hard and something you take on minute by minute. Body, mind and spirit can be a tricky bunch.

    I was excited to read in your most recent post (happbee bee-lated birthday by the way) that you're seeing and feeling huge results with your new diet. Right on! Diet is so important - I think. Food is medicine and medicine came from food - herbs.

    Earlier tonight I was doing research for a project and found myself reading the Yoplait yogurt labels online. I'm pretty maniacal about my diet and haven't eaten commercial yogurt for years, but I was mortified to see that Yoplait is the number one selling yogurt and it claims to be so good for you and it is full of junk! MSG, aspartame, artifical flavor, artificial color, high fructose corn syrup and preservatives - oh my. :O( Not helpful for healing.

    Anyway, I ramble on... sorry. I was really moved by your sharing.

    Thank you!

    Have a great night,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete